Friday, January 11, 2008

Just like everyone else

We’re in the middle of a long awaited bathroom remodel. Our “son” Brutus is moving to California, and we’re having a going-away dinner for him tomorrow (Saturday) after a Seahawks party. Although he doesn’t bear our name, we still want him to possess the very qualities we have tried to impart to John and Joe. Right now, I see that all of our sons have challenges and opportunities ahead, and we just want them to be wise. Of course they will learn from their mistakes, which seem to be the teacher that can reach them, but we would also like them to learn from success.

We took Joe shopping for groceries one night last week. A mom can’t watch her baby go hungry. We had a great time together. I spent yesterday and today writing blogs, choosing bathroom fixtures, taking care of a husband with a pathetic head cold, talking on the phone with John who is traveling with a band, and realizing that no matter how much I do, it is never enough. I don’t like it when friends keep score of whose turn it is to do the calling or inviting or paying, and yet I keep score of myself. Have I contributed enough to my world today? Have I done enough? Did I pursue my career, keep my house, cook a meal, call my friends?

And I came to the conclusion that I am just like everyone else. We all wish we could accomplish more, matter more, or make a difference. We all keep score of our own personal accomplishments and shortcomings. We would never treat our best friend like we treat ourselves, or judge a close sister like we judge ourselves.

Once again I am reminded of my mother’s proverb which I quote here exactly as she would have spoken it to me, with her finger outstretched in admonishment:
“Blessed is she who does her best, and leaves the rest, and does not worry. Angels can do no more.
My best has to be good enough. And with that I go to bed.

No comments: